Roller-skating is a great way to blow off steam after a long school year, a hard week at work, or a frustrating day at home. But skating isn’t just fun, it’s fitness! Wellness professionals recommend roller-skating to promote aerobic and cardiovascular health. It’s great for getting in shape, losing weight, and having a blast while you’re at it!
Health Benefits of Roller-Skating
- Roller-skating is just as aerobically effective as jogging, cycling, or swimming.
- It’s great for improved cardiovascular function and overall heart health.
- Skating works almost every major muscle group in your body, including your legs, glutes, abs, and arms.
- Skating is low-impact, so it’s better for your joints than traditional exercise.
- Safe skaters have a lower chance of muscle injury than kids who play competitive sports.
- Skating improves balance, flexibility, and muscle strength.
- Just an hour of moderate skating can burn 350-600 calories an hour. In fact, it’s in the top 5 best calorie burning sports!
Other Pros of Learning to Skate
- Skating is fun, making kids (and adults) more likely to stay active.
- Skaters can socialize while working out without getting out of breath.
- Roller-skating is a go-at-your-own pace activity, making it perfect for mixed-age groups.
- Skating has no age limit! It’s perfect exercise for siblings after school, friends on the weekends, or a family of five who want to stay active.
- Many professional athletes got their start on roller-skates. Over half of the 2014 US Olympic Speed Skating team got their start on inline skates at their local roller-skating rinks.